Student Success Initiative
The Student Success Initiative is a program that is comprised of several initiatives designed to enhance student success and retention. Components include:
- Core Objectives designed to integrate a living and learning experience
- Developing positive communities among students
- A Survival Guide outlinging accessible academic support and information to on-campus students
- Devoting staff resources to developing strong relationships between students and staff
- Implementing an academic intervention initiative as early as mid-term fall semester.
Goals of the Student Success Initiative Sessions
- To facilitate meaningful interactions between RAs and students
- To serve as an early intervention with students experiencing difficulties
- To assist each student in becoming involved in campus life
Resident Assistants invite each student in their communities to participate in the Student Success Initiative. Students who participate meet with their Resident Assistant twice each semester and will have a structured conversation focused on student success using a Discussion Guide. The SSI Discussion Guide has been adapted from time-tested programs at colleges and universities from across the country. The seesions, questions, and Core Objectives have been developed with the Dixie State student in mind. Each of the four sessions is applicable to a broad range of situations that many students face at different stages in their academic careers. The questions are designed to be a catalyst for a deeper conversation about each student’s individual academic experience. With the goal setting and action planning section, the student and RA can work together toward making this a personalized experience for each student. In each subsequent section, previous goals are revisited and refined after a self-inventory is taken.
Resident Assistants work with students to resolve any problems the students may be facing. Resident Assistants are allies and will refer students to the appropriate campus resources that can help with student needs.